Saturday, August 10, 2024

CHAPTER 9
Tulips from the home garden


In fall 2006, I created a modest-sized circular garden in my backyard on the Southside of Indianapolis, I and planted some tulips in it. 

The first spring’s blooms (2007) surprised and pleased me, although I was so new at gardening, I think I would have been gleeful about anything that had come up. Even if it had been roses!

I had red and white tulips in the garden (several years later, I put in a blend of orange-purple tulips that really delighted me.). So I did a shoot of the tulips on April 22, 2007. 

A few years later, I would tinker with several monochrome colors and found myself fascinated with the color blue. I made a blue version of one of the pictures of white tulips I had taken that day. I really liked the result and decided to submit it among my contributions for display in the Indiana Photographic Society’s 2011 annual Through the Lens members’ exhibit at the Garfield Park Arts Center. 

Leading off this chapter is a copy of that photo. I did considerable tinkering with the image in post-processing. For one, I darkened the background (I’ll present copies of the original below). Then I tried several different crops and minimized highlights to cull more detail in the petals. And finally, I applied the blue monochrome filter, experimenting with several shades and intensities before settling upon this one.

The rest of the images here also were taken that day using my Canon 30D and, I think, my Canon 18-55mm variable aperture lens. Within a year of the shoot, I would purchase a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro lens, but I'm pretty sure I didn't have it to use for the 2007 shoot of the tulips. 

In future years, I expanded my flower plantings and included images from those gardens in post-launch blog posts.

The original composition appears above. I then applied a crop (first photo below) to eliminate everything below the black (shaded) horizontal line. I then converted the image to traditional monochrome (black-and-white) and painted the background black  (second photo below). Next up, I applied the blue tint monochrome filter (third photo below) and played with the saturation. I didn't like this intensity, so I pulled back on the color and settled on the version leading off the post. For the final version (the one leading off the post), I also use an eraser tool to remove the white dot in the middle of the petal on the far right. 




Above and below are different perspectives of the same red tulip in the garden. 


Above are the same white tulips you saw higher up in this chapter, only from an overhead perspective. 

The tulip above and below are the same; the one above is the original composition, the one below is after doing another all-black background painting. The second photo below is a close crop of the photo above. 



No comments:

Post a Comment