Sunday, October 9, 2022

Blake's Garden, a feel-good place
for children and their families

Blake's Garden was a project under development in my last days in Indianapolis in 2017, and it opened just a month before I moved to Raleigh. Each time I returned to Garfield Park in my sundry visits to family in Indianapolis, I've looked in on Blake's Garden, and each time it was closed. 

Until my recent visit last month. I lucked out, and the images you see here are from that visit. The story of Blake's Garden can be found by following the link in this sentence. How "interactive" is the garden? Well, the photo leading off the post is a chicken coop. Is that a good enough example? 

I will say that I met Mark Bowell, Blake's father, eight years ago or so. We met at the former Garfield Cafe & Eatery during the cafe's short lifespan on Shelby Street, a block south of Garfield Park, and talked about the park's photography policy in the Sunken Garden.

Mark listened intently, and I found him to be personable and genuine. I'd seen him a couple times in the park hosting the former "America, We Remember" observances during or near the Fourth of July holiday. So I felt sad for him when I learned about Blake's story. I hope you give it a look/see.

To view a larger and sharper version of a photo, simply click on the image. This is particularly helpful if you access the blog from a mobile device. To see a full gallery of images from this shoot, follow the link in this sentence. 

























   

No comments:

Post a Comment