In late August 2019, I drove to the Harnett County seat city of Lillington, N.C., to do one of my periodic community photo profiles. Harnett is the county immediately south of Wake County, where I live.
After processing the images, I thought I did a post about that trip. The other day, while working on a photo-related project, I went to pull up that post that I thought I'd done hoping to find both images and information about the community that I needed.
But I could not find any such post. So, folks ... here is a first for this blog — a post seven years after the shoot, a separation not meant to be intentional.
The unfortunate thing about it is that I'm so far removed from that outing, that my memories of the community are not vivid today. Having a fresh memory of a shoot is one of the benefits of doing a post within a week after finishing the photo processing.
I’ll sprinkle detail that I can remember in the appropriate places, but I’ll warn you now, there might not be much detail. The photo leading off the post shows what was the Lillington Chamber of Commerce building at 106 Front St. at the time I was there. It appears the chamber has since moved to smaller quarters on Harnett Street.
This surprised me; the Front street property and the adjacent Centennial Plaza (later named Senter Family Park) distinguished by the Senter Family Town Clock were one of the memorable attractive portions of the downtown that I can remember. I dropped an inquiry about the situation to the chamber several days ago, but did not receive a response.
One interesting geographic feature about Lillington is that one needs to travel north and cross the Cape Fear River then turn left onto W. Cornelius Harnett Boulevard to access all of the Harnett County government offices in a nicely landscaped complex. On the upside, all of these buildings appear to be pretty new and reflect similar -- but attractive -- architecture. You'll see these near the middle of the post below.
Adjacent to the complex is an expansive Veterans Park that includes the Harnett County Veterans Memorial and Harnett County Law Enforcement Memorial. There are pictures of this below the county government office photos below.
As always, to view a larger version of a photo, simply click on the photo, something that might prove beneficial for those of you accessing the blog on a mobile device. To view a full gallery of images from my shoot in Lillington, follow the link in this sentence.
Above and first two photos below: The Beans and Cream, 810 S. Main St., a combination cafe and ice-cream shop.



























































No comments:
Post a Comment