Thursday, November 9, 2023

Mi Cancun: 1 out of 2 ain't bad ... I guess

We had an itch for Mexican cuisine recently, so we spent considerable time researching what would be a very good place to enjoy that in the Triangle. We hadn't sampled too many such places in the years we've been here, but because Lee Ann is the true fan of that cuisine, I let her settle on a place. 

I don't know how Lee Ann considers Mexican food such a delight, given her disdain for spicy foods, but I've encountered apparent palate contradictions like this in other people (including me) before, so I'm sure it's not uncommon. 

In my case, my stomach and digestive system cannot handle onions unless they are minced (and I'm talking pulverized here) and cooked thoroughly, and my stomach will do cartwheels (not in a good way) with the first whiff of high concentrations of garlic, such as garlic bread. And yet, I otherwise enjoy spicy foods. 

For example, I will sprinkle seasoned pepper on my frozen pizzas, and I like curry and paprika on sundry foods (Lee Ann does not).

But I'm getting off the subject. We landed at a franchise establishment that goes by Mi Cancun and picked the one on High House Road in Cary, a Raleigh suburb, because it had the best reviews. 

I had a luncheon sampler plate -- a burrito, an enchilada and a taco ( feel like I'm telling a joke here ... you know, a burrito, an enchilada and a taco entered a bar ... ). I believe Lee Ann ordered a fajita plate of some kind with rice, bean dip and guacamole on lettuce. She enjoyed her meal, I found mine lacking in imagination and, most importantly, flavor. That's the fajita dish you see in the photo leading off the post. Her side dish and my meal are the first two photos shown below, in that order.

We also had margaritas and elected to get the top-shelf tequila, and despite getting the premium alcohol, which we thought would guarantee satisfaction, we both found the margaritas slightly below average. The beverages looked a lot better than they tasted (see photos below the food).  

The rest of the photos depict the eatery's decor. 















No comments:

Post a Comment