Saturday, September 2, 2023

Return to Lake Wheeler finds several
rowing teams practicing their sport


I’d been told that Saturday mornings are busy for rowing team practices at Lake Wheeler here in Raleigh, and after an impromptu stop there today, I’m inclined to believe it.

Teams were arriving, rowing and departing from the moment I arrived until an hour or so later when I left after walking about a mile along a wooded trail — with a brief side trip to open space along the shore line. In some spots of the latter, those open spaces were huge, the result of what signs near the entrance indicated was a low lake water level.

Saturday was the third consecutive day here of bearable, normal summer weather after a couple weeks of brutally hot and humid conditions. The reprieve started when remnants of Hurricane Idalia moved through North Carolina on Wednesday evening.

I'd been to Lake Wheeler Park once previously, in fall 2018. I explored other areas of the park on that first visit, so I concentrated on other areas on this visit. I shot today's images with the iPhone 13 Pro, testing its zoom capacity to the hilt (and not with complete satisfaction).   

Photos in this post will show bits of all that I mentioned above, starting with the rowing team shells. The last two photos are a shot of a man and two children fishing and a nicely landscaped rapids near the parking lot and community center.

To view a full gallery of all my shots from today's shoot, follow the link in this sentence.



















No comments:

Post a Comment