Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Birthday salute to Henri Cartier-Bresson


One of the earliest posts I've made in Photo Potpourri was one tipping my hat to Henri Cartier-Bressonthe French photojournalist and painter. I'd composed post after watching him mentioned in an installment of Ovation TV's series The Genius of Photography. Unfortunately, I stumbled upon the series in midstream, so I missed early installments.

He was credited with being one of the earliest photojournalist, for popularizing the art of street photography and for coining what photographers have since referred to as the art of capturing "the decisive moment" in their picture-taking.

The reason I mention this today is that while reading this morning's newspaper, I saw that today would have been his 105th birthday. He died Aug. 3, 2004, a couple weeks shy of his 96th birthday.

A camera-shy individual himself (he was not a publicity seeker), the photo leading off the post is a rare shot of him.

The link I provided in the opening paragraph takes you to that post of mine in February 2009, just two months after I launched Photo Potpourri.

No comments:

Post a Comment