Thursday, March 16, 2023

Pullen Park's immersion of light

When I decided to drop in at Raleigh's Pullen Park on March 7, I was not aware that I walked into the LuminoCity Festival there. And to be honest, I'm not sure still today -- some eight days later -- what exactly LuminoCity Festival is. 

What I can say is that the children-oriented side of the park was sprinkled with colorful objects, animals, dinosaurs and animated characters designed, apparently, to create an entertaining light immersion experience for all visitors ... after dark. But I found that much out only after I'd been there to photograph it! Basically, what I'm saying is that my timing was eerily fruitful, photography-wise, but I didn't understand why until after the fact.

The light immersion experience (i.e., the LuminoCity Festival) runs from 5 to 9:30 p.m. nightly, and admission requires the purchase of tickets costing $25 for adults and $18 for children ages 3 to 12. Children under age 3 are admitted free. 

The festival opened Feb. 18 and concludes April 9. But there are caveats: The park closes at 5 p.m. on March 16-19, 23-26, March 30-April 2 and April 5-9, which tells me there are very few actual night dates remaining to get in the park at night to be immersed by the lighted animation. 

So while perusing these children's section of the park in these pictures, you'll have to imagine what these will look like at night. 

But the festival is only half of what Pullen Park has to offer. At the bottom of this post, which starts with the colorful animations, I'll present photos taken of "the rest of the park." 




















And now ... the rest of the park

The rest of the park has traditional attractions -- playgrounds, pavilions, tennis courts, an aquatics center and, most impressively, a fine arts center and theater just a few short steps apart from each other. 





















Above and first two photos below are exterior shots of the park's indoor aquatic center. 




No comments:

Post a Comment