Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Downtown Raleigh, N.C. Part V:
Circular Holiday Inn

It's been quite a few months now since news got out that a developer was planning to build a mix-used development on land now occupied by the somewhat iconic circular Holiday Inn hotel, which has been part of the Downtown Raleigh skyline since 1969. It is said to be Raleigh's sole remaining circular building.

The proposed development has been described as being a glass tower containing "luxury" components of residential, retail, hotel and restaurant space. 

I described the circular Holiday Inn as "somewhat iconic" because there are local people who felt the circular building was out of place, had no business being there, or flew in the face of quality architecture. 

But there are others who appreciated it for the very reason of being different, and I counted myself in that crowd. Its best gift to the community and or its guests was giving people on the 20th (and top) floor a 360-degree vista of the city, and on good days, they could see historic churches, Dorothea Dix Park, Fayetteville Street and the State Capitol.

I'd actually photographed the Holiday Inn once before, in December 2018, on a visit to the Morgan Street Food Hall, where we decided to observe Lee Ann's daughter's birthday. The circular nature of the hotel caught my eye, so I photographed it and included it at the bottom of a post about the trip to downtown

There aren't that many photos of the hotel in my recent shoot (it kind of looks the same way from all sides, you know?), but I did try to integrate some of the trees and tree branches in the vicinity into every one of them, the most intense being the first one below. The new development is scheduled to be finished until late 2025 or early 2026, but I can happily say I got to the hotel for a shoot before they started tearing it down. 





Next Up: Downtown churches


Previously in the series: 

Part I: The North Carolina State Capitol at Union Square
Part II: Nash Square Park


No comments:

Post a Comment