Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Variations of sunrises at Myrtle Beach

In early April, I was in Myrtle Beach (one of three visits there so far this year), and I grabbed an assortment of photos with my Canon 6D and with the iPhone. Many of the shots were sunrises from a couple early mornings that I managed to get up in time. 

Some of the ones I liked best, though, were taken on the heavily overcast morning just before we returned to North Carolina. We decided to stroll along the beach a final time before heading out. (We no sooner had hit the road when the skies opened, and we had rain for about half of the return trip to Raleigh, but I digress). 

The very last shot I took that morning is the one you see leading off the post. Foremost, I like the compositional elements, but it also gives you an idea of the weather about to shake out a downpour in a matter of about 10 to 15 minutes. 

I usually like to present photos in my posts in chronological order, if/when I use any order at all (which is about maybe half the time). Today, I present the photos in reverse chronological order ... just to be different, I guess. 

In the days ahead, I'll be presenting in four segments pictures from our trip to Myrtle Beach later in April. 

A walker and runner are about to cross paths (above), with the ominous cloud cluster looming above them (above). The morning haze and/or fog fudges the clarity of the background in the photo immediately below. A group of uniformed individuals ran past us, heading north, and set up some kind of beachside camp (second photo below). I was unable to ascertain what that was about. 



Above and below are compositions designed to illustrate the expanse of the beach in either direction. The second photo below is similar, except in this shot, I was fortunate to include an individual standing on the shore just beyond the wave line taking a photo of someone in the shallow area of the ocean. 



These sunrise shots were taken earlier that same, final morning from the balcony of our room. They include the sun coming above the horizon (above), albeit obscured partially by a thin, low-lying band of clouds. The thin band was nothing compared to the more dense and larger band above it (first photo below), which the sun slipped behind in short order. When the sun finally rose high enough to escape that band of clouds (second photo below), it appeared larger and transformed the color spectrum of the sky and clouds. 



On the previous day, clouds played a role in the sunset again, although not nearly to the degree they did in the previous sequence. There was no spying the sun immediately on the horizon, but it did inch above a far less narrow band of clouds in short order (above and below) before emerging in its entirety (second below) when it began to cast a reflection on the ocean. A very thin band of additional clouds entered the picture (third and fourth photos below) before emerging for good and ratcheting up the reflection's intensity (fifth photo below). 
 





Two days before leaving, we dined at the Margaritaville restaurant at Broadway at the Beach, and I made these photos of some of the decor there (above and first two photos below). The third photo below is a photo of my meal (in progress), one of the best jambalaya dishes I've ever had. It was so good, I made a point to return there later in the month when we were back in Myrtle Beach. Inexplicably, the jambalaya on the second visit was like a whole new recipe; it was not that good at all.   




On April 5, three days before the previous shots were taken, I used the Canon 6D for the sunrise images you see above and in the next three below (all of the previous shots were taken with the camera in my iPhone 11). There were no clouds to work around this morning, so I concentrated on composition, the aural glow, brilliant orange hues and the reflection on the water. 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment