Thursday, April 18, 2019

Picturesque town park in Holly Springs

Bass Lake Park isn't part of the old downtown or even an area that could be described as "the extended downtown." But several employees at Town Hall suggested I look in at the town park because it was picturesque -- particularly its dual water spills. And they were right.

I made a point to stop there on my way home from the downtown shoot. The photo leading off the post gives you a nice perspective of the dual spills, along with the backgrounded tree-lined shore on the other side of the lake.

What you don't see in this photo (but I'll show you below) are the dozen or so extremely casually gazing geese in the green area that you see in the middle and right side of the photo. Some of them grazed as close as a couple feet from a bench on which a woman was sitting -- and the woman wasn't directly feeding the geese (although it's possible she had thrown some morsels onto the grass before I got there, I suppose). 

I didn't spend a lot of time at the lake grounds; the park has a trail that circumvents the entire lake, something I would have been interested in checking out if I hadn't have spent a lot of time walking around someplace already.

But I did stick around long enough to get a couple dozen photos before taking off.

As always, to view a larger, sharper version of a photo, simply click on the image. This is particularly helpful when accessing the blog from a mobile device. To see a full gallery of my shots from Bass Lake Park, click on the link in this sentence.

Photo geek stuff: I did the entire shoot using my Canon 6D and Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD lens equipped with a polarizing filter. I made three exposures of each composition to meld into one image during post-processing using Photomatix high-dynamic range (HDR) software.

Geese graze close to a bench where a woman sits (above), and a closeup of one of the geese (below), which is as close as I ever have been able to get to one. A few more geese were farther down the shore (second below).



A closer side view of the spills (above), a head-on view of the spills (below), a slow-shutter speed closeup of one spill (second below) and a look downstream from the spill (third below). 




Above: A reflection on a small pond 30 yards of so away from the lake near the park's forested area. 

Above and below: Different views of the lake and shorelines. 


Above and below: The lake's nature center.


End of Series

Previously in this series:

Carolina Brewing Company

Big development in downtown Holly Springs

Holly Springs Cemetery

Churches in town's downtown area

No comments:

Post a Comment