Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Renowned AP photographer dies at 104

This is a quick post, in an attempt to stay "current," while I work on processing the scores of images I took recently on a 15-day trip to Savannah, Ga., and St. Augustine, the Florida Keys and Ormond Beach, Fla.

I came across the obituary today for retired longtime Associated Press photographer Max Desfor. It's likely you'll recognize some of his best-known images, as he covered many international events for the global news gathering service -- including the Korean War and the Japanese surrender to allied forces in World War II on the USS Missouri.

The Atlantic presented some of his best and best-known images at this post, something you might be interested in checking out. There are a lot of powerful images in the array at the provided link, which I shied from copying and including in this post in respect for any copyright protections ... and the fact that I lack permission to reproduce them. The one that hit me the most was No. 31 (I won't say anything more; The Atlantic provides context with each photo).

No. 41 is a 2004 photo of Desfor standing beside his image of the Japanese surrender. The photo was hanging in an AP display of WWII images in Washington, D.C.

I'll be back soon with photos from the trip.

1 comment: