Tuesday, January 23, 2018

A N.C. country church and graveyard

If there is one thing not lacking in either North or South Carolina, it is churches.

On our East Coast trip in to Myrtle Beach in 2016, we made a point to travel the two-lane highways instead of the interstates, just so we could capture the flavor of those states' countryside. It seemed as if we came upon a church every other mile or so along the way.

At the time, I told myself I would start photographing some churches I'd come upon when I got a chance, even though at the time, my trips through the Carolinas were merely as a vacationer. That situation changed in July, and even though I've come across scores of churches since the move, I hadn't followed through on that photo idea.

Then yesterday, I was out for a walk, and a mile or so from my home, I came across South Raleigh Bible Church and its graveyard, something I'd passed in the car scores of times in my commuting over the past six months. I didn't have my DSLR with me, but I did have my iPhone X, so I paused my walk to take these photos.

Most of the photos you see here is self-explanatory. The church window you see in the second photo below struck me as unusual. I couldn't tell if that was painted glass or a colored board. I hope the former. One thing that jumped out at me -- as a church graveyard, I expected many of the monuments would represent people who had passed many years ago. While there were a few of those, there also were several who were interred there recently. I found at least one who was buried in 2014, and another in 2010, for example. 

The third photo down is the backside of the church, a play around and outdoor pavilion.











1 comment:

  1. Excellent photos Joe! I'm nuts about history and often wonder what the walls of churches, older homes and downtown storefronts might say if they could. In short, all of these structures have stories to tell about the people that inhabited them and the activities that took place there. Love the church photos idea! From what I've heard you can probably shoot 200 churches within a 20-mile area anywhere in North Carolina. :)

    ReplyDelete