Saturday, May 25, 2024

CHAPTER 8
DePauw University campus


 

Budgeting time is of the essence for a photographer who has goals to achieve on a photo shoot. I learned that disappointingly on my 2011 visit to Greencastle, Ind., home of DePauw University, which was hosting the 118th rendition of the storied Monon Bell Classic football game against archrival Wabash College.

I was happy with my game and tailgate/campus atmosphere shots at DePauw on Nov. 12, 2011. But the tailgating photo opportunities turned out to be so rich that the time I spent photographing that left me little opportunity to photograph the other target of my visit -- the DePauw campus landscape as fully as I would have liked.

After leaving the tailgaters, I had only a half-hour or so to grab campus landscape photos before kickoff, not nearly enough time, as it turned out. Plus, I spent a lot of that time in the Judson and Joyce Green Center for the Performing Arts, a modern structure (opened in 2007) that had me pining for more time just to do that one facility full justice.

DePauw is yet another private, liberal arts school. It was founded in 1837 as Indiana Asbury School but changed its name to the current DePauw University in 1887 in honor of Washington C. DePauw, who, according to the school's entry at Wikipedia, made a sequence of substantial donations to the school throughout the 1870s, culminating with his largest single donation that established the School of Music in 1884. 

Before his death in 1887, Washington DePauw had donated more than $600,000 to the university, equal to about $17 million in 2021 money. 

As of 2024, DePauw had an endowment of $801.7 million in more than 900 endowment funds, the largest for a small private institutions of higher education in Indiana, according to College Raptor. To learn how the school maintains these funds on an annual basis, follow the link in this sentence.

Today, the school has 1,750 to 1,800 students (depending on the academic term/time of year) who come from more than three dozen states and countries. It offers students more than 70 majors, minors and academic course pathways to choose from.

According to the school's Wikipedia entry, DePauw also is consistently ranked as the No. 1 liberal arts college and university in Indiana. In 2023, it was ranked 45th among liberal arts colleges in the United States by U.S. News & World Report and was ranked No. 132 on Forbes magazine's 2022 rankings, which include all colleges and universities in the United States.

Ten minutes or so before before I reached the aforementioned Green Center (one view of the facility leads off this chapter), I'd been chatting with a man I had met on a knoll overlooking the tailgating expanse in the parking lots outside Blackstock Stadium. The man was very nice, and I wanted to converse with him longer than the 5 or so minutes I spent with him, but I knew my time to hit the main campus was running short.

I politely told the man I needed to get some campus shots and asked him if he could recommend some points to check out, given that my time was short (which it was). And the Green Center was the first thing he mentioned. He pointed me in the direction, and I'm happy to say he did not mislead me. Thank you, mister, whoever you are!

The Green Center is home to the DePauw School of Music, DePauw Theatre and DePauw Performing Arts Series. All of my interior campus shots in this post are from that building, so maybe you can see why I was in awe. And I didn't even get inside Kresge Auditorium or Thompson Recital Hall. I definitely needed to make another trip. Alas, as of this date, that hasn't happened yet. 

To view all of my shots from DePauw's campus, follow the link in this sentence. 

Above: Another view of the Green Center for the Performing Arts, this time with the sun to my right ... and including a bright scarlet-leafed tree in the composition.

Above and next six shots below: Interior shots of the Green Center. And I only scratched the surface ... 




Above: A lengthy hallway in the Green Center. The gentleman walking toward me also will appear in an outside shot. 


Above and below: A gathering area outside the Green Center, with a detail shot (below) of a bench situated against the brick wall you see on the far right in the above photo, although the bench is just out of view in the above photo. 


Above: The glass facade of Lily Education and Recreation Center, reflecting the facade of its across-the-sidewalk neighbor structure, the Percy L. Julian Science and Mathematics Center. 

Above and next four below: Several more views of the Julian Mathematics and Science Center, the one above being the exact side reflected in the picture immediately above. 





Above: Pedestrian traffic on the walk separating the Lily and Julian centers, looking west from the entrance of the Green Center. The gentleman in the white sweatshirt is the man you saw above in one of the Green Center hallway shots.  
   


Above and next seven shots: These were taken in the mall area north of the Green Center. Some were taken within the mall; others were taken from just outside the elevated Green Center entrance.








Above: Blackstock Stadium on game day of the 2011 Monon Bell Classic, about a half-hour before kickoff.


Above: The east facade of the L-shaped James A. Hollensteiner Indoor Track, immediately west of Blackstock Stadium.

Above and below: These are shots of the access to the DePauw University Nature Park, which is on the far west end of campus, not far from Blackstock Stadium. The photo above is a tight shot, the one below one of longer range.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment