Saturday, April 16, 2022

Putting down the camera at Myrtle Beach ...except for a couple sunsets

From Savannah, Lee Ann and I drove up to Myrtle Beach to meet some of her family to enjoy the beach and some rest and relaxation.

We had mostly decent weather; there was a day or two when it was on the chilly side, and one evening we spent an hour or so monitoring a local television channel to ascertain when vicious storms headed our way could turn out to be serious enough to seek protection from tornadoes. 

But the storms moved out before turning that dangerous. 

Almost all the pictures I took while in Myrtle Beach this time were with my iPhone, and they were family photos. Nothing I am going to bother with in blog posts. 

The exception are images you see in this post. Usually I go to Myrtle Beach expecting interesting sunrise pictures. Lee Ann coaxed me to find something interesting with the sunsets while I was there, so that's what the images in this post are about, all taken from the balcony of our rooms. Yes, I use the plural rooms; for the first two nights, we stayed on the second floor at one end of the hotel; we went up four floors and to the other side of the building for the remainder of our stay. 

Leading off the post is a photo looking southeast and was taken from the balcony on the higher-floor room. The sun is lowering behind us, so you see rich, late-afternoon dramatic colors and contrast here. I'll let the captions tell the story of the remaining images in the post. There is some interesting "looks," given the direction and time involved.

Above: This image was taken from the first room's balcony, which looks due east and was right after sundown.

The photo and above and the last two below were taken on a different night, about 15 minutes before the sun went down. They also were from the balcony of the sixth-floor room. The first one above also looks east, and you appreciate that dramatic late-afternoon lighting on the orange building facade. For the bottom two images, I turned to look toward the sun. The first below, a perspective shot, finds the sun curling around the left backside of the building, casting out what I thought was some cool flare rays. I then put my polarizing filter on the Tamron 28-300 f.3.5-6.3 lens (on my Canon 6D) and zoomed in to get the final image, a much clearer depiction of how the sun was dropping behind the building.  


No comments:

Post a Comment