Tuesday, February 22, 2022

South Mountain neighborhood, in pictures

One kind of photography I came to appreciate in my latter years living in Indianapolis was neighborhood photo documentation. 

Neighborhood photo documentation started for me in summer 2007, when members of a photography class I was taking through the Community Learning Network program at IUPUI did a photo walk-through of the historic Lockerbie Square neighborhood just east of downtown Indy. We did that in our last official class session of the course.

I so much enjoyed that, that the following year, I did the same thing on my own in the city's Irvington and Garfield Park-South neighborhoods. And when a photo club I belonged to in 2011 decided to undertake a similar project in the Old Northside neighborhood, I jumped at the chance.  

I got my creative fulfillment in these projects from the notion that I was preserving, at a specific moment in time, the beauty of landscapes and architectures of these residential locales. A shout-out here to the advanced photography class teacher who got me started on this photography concept pursuit in Lockerbie Square, Indianapolis, in 2007. You know who you are. 

I mention the above to set up the photos you see in this post, which I took last week with my iPhone 11 while I was out for a walk for exercise in the South Mountain neighborhood not far from my home here in North Carolina. The photo leading off the post was the first photo I took -- one that summoned a voice screaming "take pictures!" at me.   






















No comments:

Post a Comment