Friday, June 26, 2020

Unearthing old and/or presumed lost cameras, a lens and rolls of color film

The last two posts here were dedicated to the digitization of color film prints I'd had made of pictures taken to Texas and Cooperstown, N.Y., in the 1990s. I'd found the pictures -- which I hadn't set eyes on in probably 15-20 years -- in heretofore unopened boxes packed for our move from Indianapolis to Raleigh three years ago.

I also found some other sentimental photography stuff, such as four rolls of unused color 35mm film, packed securely in the plastic containers they came in. I must have bought a bunch at one time when they were on sale back in the late 1990s, when I was still using a film camera.

Three of the rolls are Kodak GOLD 200 ASA 24 exposure rolls; the fourth is Scotch ASA 200 24 exposures. The Scotch and one of the Kodak rolls are pictured at right. Not sure where or why I picked up the Scotch; I don't really remember ever using Scotch film before (or even remember that Scotch made camera film), but there it was.

The film reminded me that in some other unopened box from the 2017 move I should find some forgotten camera gear, such as the film camera I last used when I returned to my photography hobby in the late 1990s. After searching for a bit more in the detached garage, I found the Canon Rebel G. But that wasn't all.


I also found two digital compact cameras -- a Canon PowerShot G12 (lead-off photo and photos above and right) and Pentax Optio Z10 (below) -- as well as a Canon FS10 digital video camera, and, wonder of wonders, the long-lost Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD crop-factor lens that I'd acquired for my Canon 7D camera body, which has an APS-C sensor of 1.6. It was a lens I thought I had lost a good five or six years ago or so. But, since I've used my Canon 6D camera body almost exclusively since acquiring it in 2013, I hadn't had an urgent need to find or get my hands on that 18-280mm crop factor lens. Besides, I'd bought at Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD lens for the 6D, and it can be used on the 7D as well. 


I spent the next day and a half cleaning dust and smudges off the compact cameras and video camera, inventorying the accessories with each of the cameras, then taking steps to replace key missing pieces. For example, I found no CR123 batteries for the Rebel G, no battery charging dock for the G12, no charger and cord for the Optio Z10 and no charging cord for the FS10 digital video camera. I didn't worry too much about the FS10, but I spent about a half-hour hunting around on the Internet looking for the missing parts for the other cameras, found and bought them all eventually and sent for them. Of course, no sooner had they all arrived when I actually did find the charging dock for the G12, but ... it doesn't hurt to have a backup, I guess.

After getting the G12 battery recharged, I actually went out and did a shoot on the property with it one day last week. It worked just fine, and I'll present some pictures from it in the next post. It had been so long since I used it, I could not immediately find the zoom control on the built-in lens. It wasn't that important, though; for the first shoot, I just moved forward or backward to compose.

I will say this much, though; the camera in my iPhone 11 is more versatile, lighter, and delivers more pop in the pictures. Additionally, I can quickly edit photos in the iPhone 11 and upload them to my SmugMug galleries in short order. With the G12 (or most other cameras), I have to upload the pictures to my PC and edit them in Photoshop Elements before preparing them for gallery uploading. Sadly, I think the G12 is a dinosaur among today's technology. It's video is still decent quality, but then ... so is the iPhone's. The Opti Z10 and Rebel G are obsolete as well, but I'm still going to try and tinker with each at some point in the weeks ahead.

And hey, with the Rebel G, I have all that film to use. I hope there is a place somewhere in Raleigh that still processes film, though.

Above is the Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD lens I thought I had lost. The first three photos below are different views of the Canon FS10 digital video camera I haven't used at least since I got my first iPhone in 2012. 




Above and below are shots of the Canon Rebel G film camera. 



No comments:

Post a Comment