Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Autumn in North Carolina:
Finding the colors resplendent
without even leaving the yard

Since the beginning of October, I'd been looking forward to doing my first autumn colors shoot since moving to North Carolina.

I knew that the change of colors here starts later than it does north of the Mason-Dixon line. My experience in my years in Indiana was that the prime autumn colors there usually displayed themselves by mid-October.

On Oct. 25, I roamed Yates Mill Pond Park not far from my home in North Carolina, and there was only a hint of color changing going on there. (A post on that shoot is forth-coming). Then just the other day, while tackling a deck project behind the house, I stopped to catch my breath and noticed so many colored leaves right in front of me.

I figured it was time for a break anyway, so I ran into the house, grabbed my camera, put on my Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens and hurried back outside to start shooting. When I started, it was heavily overcast, but I still bracketed my shots to allow for three different exposures of each composition so I'd have some options during post-processing.

For a few years now, I've reduced the number of autumn shoots I do because I got to thinking that they are all looking the same. Well, perhaps I needed to change my locale more often. On Nov. 6, on my own property, I kept finding new things to compose. I think it helps to look everywhere, including (and this might seem obvious, but I get a feeling some shooters forget) looking up and down. The collection of images below should reflect some examples of doing both.

As always, click on any image to view a larger, sharper version. This is particularly helpful when accessing the blog while using a mobile device. To view a gallery of all my shots from Nov. 6, click on the link in this sentence.

Photo geek stuff: All shots were taken with my Canon 6D camera equipped with a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens. Each composition was bracketed for three exposures to allow for possible processing through Photomatix high-dynamic range (HDR) software in post-processing. As it turned out, all images in this post reflect HDR processing.

















No comments:

Post a Comment