Monday, July 24, 2017

Rolling hills suit Virginia winery just fine

The rolling Piedmont hills of central Virginia are luscious real estate for vineyards, and I stopped at one of those -- Barboursville Vineyards -- on May 17 early into my latest swing to the East Coast.

It was late in the afternoon, and we arrived there about 45 minutes from closing. But we paid the $7 to taste a handful of wines then used the remainder of late afternoon daylight to photograph the beautiful grounds.

We passed another winery -- Horton Vineyards -- featuring a castle-like structure visible from the roadway en route to Barboursville Vineyards. And skimming a map of the area, we noticed still two other wineries, Reynard Florence and Burnley vineyards were within reasonable driving distance. Ah, what could have been if we had only started our visit in the morning.

There's not a lot of context required for the pictures appearing below; they're all shots of the landscape around Barboursville Vineywards, a shot of the main building where visitors go for tastings and finally a shot of a nearby church and its graveyard and the roadway hopefully depicting the rollings hills I mentioned in the lead paragraph.

As usual, click on any image to bring up a larger, sharper version. This is particularly useful if you access the blog using a mobile device. Click on the link in this sentence to view a full gallery of the images I made from my visit to Barboursville Vineyards.

Photo geek stuff: I shot all of my photos with my Canon 6D and Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di PZD VC lens equipped with a B+W polarizing filter. I bracketed all compositions for three exposures to allow for melding in high-dynamic range (HDR) software in post-processing, and I believe all of the images in this post were treated that way.














Next up: Alexandria, Va.

Previous posts in this East Coast swing series:

James Madison's Montpelier

George Washington's Mount Vernon

No comments:

Post a Comment