Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Spring bulb show dazzles with color


I spent a bit of time this afternoon at the annual Spring Bulb Show at the Garfield Park Conservatory in Indianapolis. This was my third consecutive year I made the visit.

Tulips dominate the modest display in the atrium area of the conservatory.

There were some hibiscus and hyacinth as well, and in years past I recall seeing some coneflowers (daisies), but not this year. One thing the displays is not short on is color: oranges, yellows, magentas, pinks, reds, whites and variagateds.

Included is a handful of pictures from my shoot; I'll likely upload the best of the crop to one of my photo galleries in the days ahead.

The Spring Bulb Show runs through April 3. On the following day, the conservatory will sell the plants to the public at varying prices, beginning at 10 a.m.

And if you're really a tulip fan, sign up at the conservatory's Web site to receive an email reminder for the annual "Keep What You Pull" day, when the public is invited to raid the Sunken Garden tulip beds and haul away whatever they can pull for replanting in home gardens. Bring your own tools and hauling mechanism.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete