Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Sahm Park ... and other things in Indy and Fishers I came across on a 5-mile walk

The fourth and final post from my recent visit to Indiana covers more new territory for me. For one, I'd never been to Sahm Park in northern Marion County ... until I strolled through it on May 10.

I had an annual warranty appointment for my car at Ziebart in Castleton, and Ziebart told me they needed several hours to finish its work. So rather than wait around for up to a half-hour for a Ziebart driver to return to the shop then take me back to Lee Ann's daughter's house in Fishers, I decided to walk the five miles there.

I didn't have my DSLR or camera bag with me, so on the walk back, I took all of the pictures in this post with my iPhone X.

Sahm is just northeast of Castleton Square Mall and is adjacent to and west of Sahm Golf Course. While walking through Sahm, I came across the swimming pool and tennis, basketball and sand volleyball courts. A guy like me carrying a phone camera fetched a lot of attention quickly when I approached the tennis courts, as evidenced by the photo leading off the post. I had just walked up to this point and lifted the camera ... and heads turned.

On the access road that separates the park from the golf course, a huge net lines a portion of the road as a backstop for golfers practicing on the driving range.

North of 91st Street, I came across several housing additions that were new to me. And farther north along Willow View Road, I came upon the backside of yet another golf facility -- Balmoral Golf Course.

As always, for view a larger, sharper version of an image, simply click on the image. That is particularly important for visitors accessing the blog from a mobile device. To view a full gallery of my shoot through Sahm Park and other areas north of it, simply follow the link in this sentence.

The Sahm Park pool (above) and the pool's massive water slide (below). The pool was not open, so all photos of the pool facilities were taken either above or through the chain-link fence.


The park's sand volleyball courts (above) and basketball courts (below). 


While in the park, I had a chance to witness how the city hauls away and replaces recycling drop-off bins, a process I'd never seen before, even though I used the bin in Garfield Park for many, many years. 

The Castleton Fire Department station, on the west end of the park.

A hexagon-shaped shelter in the park, something I can't say I'd ever seen before. 

The Sahm Golf Course greeting sign (above) and the large driving range net (below) that I mentioned in the text above.


At some point while handling my phone camera, perhaps as I pulled out the phone to compose this photo, I inadvertently pressed a button directing the camera to shoot in monochrome. I kinda like it. 

This access is for the Steeplechase addition on East 91st Street.

Above and below: Two scenes taken from the back side of Balmoral Golf Course.



 Above: One view of Fishers Fire Department Station 3 on Willow View Road.

Above: While walking along the east side of Allisonville Road just south of Easy Street, one comes across this pond and fountain inside a residential development.

Above and below are two commercial developments of interest that I passed along my walk. Above, the new Fishers location for MashCraft Brewing Co. I didn't stop in, but I know of it because my children took me to MashCraft's original site in Greenwood for my birthday a few years ago, and we all enjoyed ourselves. I heard that MashCraft also has opened a location in downtown Indianapolis. Lee Ann and I frequented The Roost (below) quite a few times in our years in Indiana. And ... last Christmas season when we were last in Indiana, Lee Ann's son-in-law Matt and I made a beverage run to the Payless Liquor store next door to the Roost. A marketing representative was offering samples of Ole Smokey Tennessee Salted Caramel Whiskey, and I tried it. It was splendidly smooth, so I bought a bottle. Matt liked it, too (and he said he also sampled Ole Smokey's Mango whiskey, but I don't remember it). I have not been able to find Ole Smokey in North Carolina yet, so when I was in Indiana this month, I bought a bottle (or possibly two or three) to make sure I had enough at least until I could make it back to Indiana ...


No comments:

Post a Comment