Friday, February 10, 2017

Florida Keys, Part II:
Sombrero Beach strikingly beautiful

One of the first things we wanted to do in the Florida Keys was to find a quality beach. No, I'm not a "sun" person; my sole interest was photography, and I brought along my circular polarizing filter on the trip because I knew there'd be lots of opportunity to use it for sky and water pictures. Indeed, it would be a prime chance to exploit the polarizer's ability to enhance sky coloring, to bring out cloud detail and to minimize glare on the water.

The first use of the filter, at Sombrero Beach, was a rousing success, I felt. Sombrero was the near unanimous recommendation of Marathon locals to visit to find a great beach on that Key, especially if I wanted sunrise shots. Alas, though I didn't get any sunrise photos on the trip, I did shoot four sunsets),

On Jan. 16, the day I visited Sombrero Beach, clouds were spectacular, and I saw good opportunity to enhance sky blues and aqua waters. These photos hopefully attest to that ... beginning with the long-range perspective shot leading off the post. We weren't at this beach for very long, so the volume of photos is comparatively low; we spent a much longer time the following week at Bahia Honda State Park on Bahia Honda Key, which is larger (and consequently, much more to explore) and also has a nice beach. Below, the final two photos were taken partially looking into the sun, so colors are not quite as rich.

Rather than spend a lot of time clogging up the post with text, I'll proceed with pictures after a couple obligatory advisories:

For photo geeks -- I used my Canon 6D equipped with a Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di PZD VC lens and a B&W 67mm polarizing filter.

And as usual, if you'd like to see a larger, sharper version of an image, click on the image. This is particularly important if you access the blog using a mobile device. For a full gallery of my shots at Sombrero Beach, visit my site at SmugMug.com.















Next up: First trip to Key West

Previous posts in this series:

Part I: Not bad for 'almost paradise'


No comments:

Post a Comment