Wednesday, October 3, 2018

3 churches in historic downtown Garner

In the downtown area of Garner, N.C., there are two churches on Main Street just a couple blocks from the main cluster of shops, and a third church on Garner Road, which is on the opposite site of the railroad tracks from Main Street.

I found that the most interesting of these three churches is the one on Garner Road, Hayes Chapel Christian Church, pictured in the photo leading off the post. It is notable because it has a larger parcel of property than the two other churches, and because a large portion of that property is used for a church graveyard. The church is adjacent to Garner Recreational Park, the subject of yesterday's post.

The two other churches are Bible Way Holiness and Wake Grove Baptist, which I'll also feature in today's post. In the next post, I'll profile two others churches I came across on Sept. 21, and both are out in the rural area of Raleigh.

Photo geek stuff: I handled the entire shoot with my Canon 6D and Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3
Di VC PZD lens. I took three exposures of every composition to meld later in high-dynamic range (HDR) Photomatix software during post-processing. I set the camera shooting mode to aperture priority (f/8.0) and adjusted my ISO levels in dark conditions to allow for optimum shutter speeds so as not to blur images.


Hayes Chapel Christian's graveyard is an array of markers and monuments (above). It also has this distinguished tree (below) at the periphery of the property square to a portion of the graveyard. 


Monuments include an obelisk (above), a marker for a child (first below) and a grave dating to 1923 (second below). George Montague, says the epitaph on the old stone, "was faithful to every duty."   




Above: The top of Hayes Chapel Christian Church.

Above and two below: The exterior of Bible Way Holiness Church on Main Street includes a wooden ramp from the church doors, a distinguished church sign and a slightly titled cross.



Above and below: Wake Baptist is in an unfortunate position of having what little property it possesses intersected with unsightly utility lines. Normally I try to remove or minimize chromatic aberrations when I get them in my images, but I kind of liked the hues within the sky pattern in the photo below. 


No comments:

Post a Comment