Friday, November 3, 2017

What's a pumpkin patch without ...
pumpkin-smashing dinosaurs?

It had been seven years since I'd had a chance to visit a pumpkin farm with my kids and grandkids, so I made a point to bring along the camera on the visit last month to Waterman's Farm on the Eastside of Indianapolis.

I'd been there years ago with my own kids, and I've now been there three times with the grandkids as well.

There were a lot of attractions at Waterman's that I remember from my last visit -- the ride in the hay wagon to the pumpkin patch, the bungee trampoline (which is what I call it for lack of knowing an official name for it), the haystacks for kids to climb and mazes for kids to navigate, chief among them. And oh ... I shouldn't forget the pumpkin-crushing "dinosaur," always a big hit for young and old alike. The prehistoric pumpkin-crusher is depicted in the photo leading off the post.

There was also a gas-powered "train" ride that traversed a very short course for small children and a couple of bounce houses (I'm assuming that's what they're called) for the slightly older ones. These might have been available when I was last there; I just don't remember.

We had a beautiful day for the trip, which I hope these photos will attest. This trip was special because my daughter, Kelly, and her girls, Lizzie and Addison, and I were joined by Lee Ann and her daughter Mindy, Mindy's stepdaughter, Emma, and Mindy's 21-month-old son, Jaxson.

As always, click on any image to view a larger and sharper version. A gallery of pictures from my visit to Waterman's on Oct. 20 can be found at the link in this sentence.

Photo geek stuff: All photos were taken with my Canon 6D equipped with a Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di PZD VC lens. I used a B+W polarizing filter on the lens. Although I bracketed my non-action compositions for three exposures per image, most picture files were processed as single-frame images, including all of the action or high-degree movement ones. All three exposures of some non-action shots were processed through Photomatix high-dynamic range (HDR) software.

Above and below: The farm had one other dinosaur on the grounds, and this one was for the curious to actually explore the inside. There weren't too many people going in there, that I can recall.


The kids mostly enjoyed the bungee-trampoline experience (above). Granddaughter Addison (below) had some difficulty adapting to the timing needed to use the trampoline as a propulsion to go higher, but she stuck with it and seemed to have fun.


People of all ages and sized roamed the pumpkin patch (above). At first, granddaughter Lizzie did her usual camera-shy thing and ran in the other direction (first below, left) when she saw me trying to compose a picture with her in it. But she warmed up to the notion (second below) of being photographed as she and new acquaintance Emma hit it off after getting to know each other. They both enjoyed watching Emma's stepbrother Jaxson discover just how big (and heavy) those pumpkins are.



Above: Returning from the pumpkin patch, heading to the checkout area.

Above and next several below: Waterman's makes a point to "dress up" the grounds and the pumpkin patch for the fall and Halloween seasons, although the cameraman's shadow in the above photo has to be described as an unplanned prop "extra." I don't know whether the open pumpkin (seventh photo below) was deliberate or the result of an accidental drop, but it was picture-worthy.









Above: One of the members of a modest animal farm area. We were not there on a a weekend day,  but we heard that on weekends the farm brings in a camel that gives rides to kids.


Above: You don't see a pumpkin-based smiley face very often ... 

Above: A wagon heading out to the pumpkin patch.

Above: What would a pumpkin patch be without ... kettle popcorn?

Above: Emma and Lizzie frolicking on the haystacks. I had to include this photo because of the totally accidental hair-in-air grab.

Above: A cute girl peering out the side of a turf-based train ride.

Above: At the end of the day, visitors check out and pay for their pumpkins ... and perhaps get a little pumpkin advice for a Peanuts-comic-strip bargain price of 10 cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment