Friday, August 18, 2017

Fog drifting through in the mountains ...

If you've ever driven in the Blue Ridge Mountains, just about anywhere near or along the Appalachian range, odds are that at some point you've come across the scene depicted above.

Patches of fog are not uncommon there, and I've seen them at least four times in the dozen or so trips I've made to the East Coast in the past three years. Not quite as rare as a solar eclipse, of course, but still unusual enough that you spend time appreciating it when you see it.

The most recent was June 13, in western Virginia and southern West Virginia, and I decided to see what I could record of it for as long as it hung around. The fact that I could use a dark, tree-laden background to bring out detail in the mist formations made it even more worth my while. That's what you see in these pictures; I used an iPhone 6s Plus and took these from the passenger seat of the car.

As I recall (it's been two months now), there was some rain at some point, though not a lot. Even though it was daylight, the skies were dark, so I tried to add some shadows detail in post-processing.




No comments:

Post a Comment