Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Photo intro to downtown Wilmington, NC

I can't say I know a lot about Wilmington, N.C., and even though I learned a bit more about it when I visited on July 8, so much time has elapsed since then that I had to spend time refreshing my memory when I composed this post. 

The USS North Carolina, moored along the Cape Fear River across from the city's downtown Riverwalk, might be its most famous landmark. The vessel, accessible by U.S. 421 west of the river, is available for public tours daily, though time did not permit me to indulge.

I chose to lead off the post with a tree-framed image I took, standing along the Riverwalk, of highway 421 spanning the river. The first image below is a shot zooming in on some boats underneath the overpass.

For a look at the full shoot from the short visit to Wilmington, visit this gallery from my site at SmugMug.


Above and below: The USS North Carolina, which launched in 1895 and was decommissioned in late 1945, is one of the very few Navy ships to have served in the Spanish-American and two world wars.


Above and next two below: Landscaping and people using the Riverwalk.




Above and below: The Henrietta III riverboat offers cruise tours to the general public.


Above: The Reel Cafe was the first place I came upon after leaving my parked car to stroll the streets of downtown Wilmington. I ducked inside to check out the interior and, coincidence of coincidences, met a young man named Brian, an employee, who said he was from Bloomington, Ind., a graduate of North High School. He said he moved to Wilmington 10 years ago or so and has enjoyed it ever since.  

Above: I took this photo because I thought the facade to be unusual. There is a marker on the bottom left identifying the building as the Fortuna Home, and the address above it, 10 Dock Street, is not listed on the city's map. It appears to be part or an extension of the adjacent Dock Street Oyster Bar, which is as 12 Dock Street.


Above: This is one of the trolleys of the Wilmington Trolley Company, which gives narrated tours of the city.

Above and below: Outside and inside looks at City Market, which is on Water Street near the Riverwalk.


Above and next three below: More shops and buildings in the Riverwalk area along Water Street.




Above: A look at a section of the federal building, which is two blocks long and also across from the Riverwalk.

 Above: The U.S. Post Office.

Above: City Hall.

Above and next three below: The New Hanover County Courthouse. In the third photo below, you can see the proximity of the county courthouse to City Hall -- they face North 3rd Street, separated by Princess Street.




Above: St. James Episcopal Parish, at Market and 3rd, across the street from (below) Burgwin-Wright House and Gardens.  


No comments:

Post a Comment