Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Through the Lens: Eye of the Beholder
opens to large crowd at GPAC

Saturday's reception to open this year's "Through the Lens" photography exhibit at the Garfield Park Arts Center was a pleasing success. This was the Indiana Photographic Society's sixth annual show at the GPAC -- and the second that I have been involved with.

This year's theme was "The Eye of the Beholder," and by all indications, it was the largest-attended opening in the modest history of the show. Club President Tony Carlino said he asked the arts center staff how the attendance compared to other exhibit openings, and they said Saturday's was one of the highest -- if not the highest. We had a nice ambiance this year, thanks to a string quartet from Perry Meridian High School. It easily surpassed my recollection of last year's opening, and I have to say I was even more excited when three of my children and three of my grandchildren showed up -- as did five members of the Indy Meetup Photo Club, the other local photography club I belong to. It made the evening for me.

These photos were taken from the reception; most I grabbed early on, well before the crowd reached high volume. By the time attendance peaked, I was immersed with enjoying visits from family and friends. If any of you read, please know I was very happy to see you -- and grateful you took time out of your day to stop by.

If you missed the opening-night reception, you have plenty of time to see the exhibit. "Through the Lens VI: The Eye of the Beholder" will remain on display through April 15. Admission, always free, is during normal hours of the GPAC (for location, see map on the Photo Potpourri homepage), which are 2 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays and Thursdays, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays and 1 to 5 p.m. Sundays. The center is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.

And if you're out of town or can't make it otherwise, I posted the pictures I contributed to the show at my page on Facebook, Joe Konz Photography.









 



No comments:

Post a Comment